Fallacy of the Four Terms|
- All dogs are animals, and all cats are mammals,
so all dogs are mammals.
- The four terms are: dogs, animals, cats and mammals.
- Note:In many cases, the fallacy of four terms is a
special case of equivocation. While the
same word is used, the word has different meanings,
and hence the word is treated as two different terms. Consider the
- Only man is born free, and no women are men,
therefore, no women are born free.
- The four terms are: man (in the sense of 'humanity'), man (in the
sense of 'male'), women and born free.
Identify the four terms and where necessary state the meaning
of each term.
26 May 1995